Trauma Informed Hypnotherapy Level One: Foundational Skills
Trauma Informed Hypnotherapy Level Two: Techniques for Complex Trauma
Transforming Traumatic Memories with Hypnosis and Memory Reconsolidation
November 11 @ 9:00 am - November 12 @ 4:30 pm$425
Can traumatic memories really be changed so they no longer haunt a person emotionally? Neuroscience research suggests that they can by harnessing the mechanism of memory reconsolidation, the brain’s own process of updating an emotional memory with new meanings and associations.
In this live virtual workshop, Courtney Armstrong will get you up to date on this exciting discovery, explain why clinical hypnosis is a natural tool for eliciting memory reconsolidation, then demonstrate a simple five-step protocol you can use that integrates clinical hypnosis with cognitive-behavioral techniques to safely resolve traumatic memories and foster client resilience.
After the first day of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Summarize how emotional trauma is processed in the brain as it relates to case conceptualization.
- Describe the difference between implicit and explicit memory.
- Discuss how clinical hypnosis can be used for emotional regulation and ego-strengthening prior to trauma reprocessing.
- Compile recent neuroscience discoveries regarding memory reconsolidation and its clinical implications for treating trauma.
- Characterize the five steps that several evidence-based trauma therapies have in common.
- Utilize the “Attune, Lift, and Lead” communication pattern to quickly build rapport & facilitate goal setting with clients.
After the second day of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain standards for ethics and professional conduct in using clinical hypnosis as an adjunct to trauma treatment.
- Apply an evidence-based imaginal rescripting technique to help clients reduce distress related to memories of childhood trauma
- Utilize metaphor and symbolic imagery to help clients develop a positive post-trauma identity.
- Utilize an age progression technique to instill hope and foster resilience.
- Discuss how to avoid re-traumatization while reviewing traumatic memories in clients.
- Describe the limitations of the research on memory reconsolidation and clinical hypnosis in trauma treatment.
This event is sponsored by the North Carolina Society of Clinical Hypnosis as part of their annual conference.