Techniques for Anxiety, Pain, and Memory Reconsolidation
Strategies for Attachment & Complex Trauma
- This event has passed.
Rethinking Personality Disorders: The Search for Secure Attachment
August 20, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$125.00
Take a deep dive into just how attachment trauma affects the developing brain and contributes to the development of characterological disorders.
Drawing from research that that has found an association between attachment trauma and personality disorders, Courtney will help you work effectively with and master the association between attachment trauma and these often recalcitrant patients.
In this stimulating workshop, you will learn evidence-based treatment strategies that will give you the skills to create a stronger therapeutic alliance, reduce your frustration, and safely reprocess early attachment trauma using insights from the neuroscience discovery of memory reconsolidation.
This educational program will include lecture and video examples to teach and integrate skills and interventions.
Courtney’s approach, given its compatibility with the attachment-based Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), is often used with individual clients during “stage 2” work when the blocks and resistances are particularly challenging in one of the partners. In this program, she will give you an overview of not just how clients with personality disorders (and personality disorder traits) resolve trauma, but also, explain her therapeutic process when she’s been personally asked to work with these clients for individual therapy during impasses in couples therapy.
Clinical Objectives: After attending this training, learners will be better able to:
1. Describe the association between insecure attachment and the ten personality disorders in the DSM5.
2. Match personality traits with the way developmental trauma shapes the brain.
3. Apply at least one strategy for strengthening the therapeutic alliance and handling enactments.
4. Describe the focus of each phase of the three-phase treatment model for complex trauma.
5. Describe the neuroscience discovery of memory reconsolidation, its implications and limitations for trauma treatment.
6. Demonstrate 4 types of experiential interventions used to facilitate reconsolidation of early attachment trauma experiences.
- 8:45 to 9:00 am: Registrant online check-in and orientation
- 9:00 to 10:20 am: Describe correlations between attachment trauma and the ten PD’s
- 10:20 to 10:30 am (break)
- 10:30 to 12:00 pm: Compare strategies for creating a trusting alliance with PD clients
- 12:00 to 12:40 pm (lunch break)
- 12:45 to 1:45 pm: Discuss the neuroscience breakthrough of memory reconsolidation
- 1:45 to 2:30 pm: Demonstrate a 5-step process for reconsolidating a trauma memory
- 2:30 to 2:40 pm (break)
- 2:40 to 4:00 pm: Discuss 4 experiential techniques for safely reconsolidating memories; closing remarks and questions
Mental Health Professionals, Social Workers, Psychologists
$140 Regular Rate
$125 Early Rate (before 6/1/21)
$105 F/T graduate students, active/former military, pre-licensed interns, ICEEFT members, diversity/inclusion*
Diversity/inclusion is is strictly for those who work in an agency or community mental health setting and predominantly with minority/marginalized populations
6 CEs included for no extra charge
- August 20, 2021
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Trauma Therapy Training
- Event Tags:
- attachment, Attachment trauma, continuing education counselors, continuing education marriage and family therapists, continuing education psychologists, continuing education social workers, emotionally focused couples therapy, personality disorders, South Florida EFT Community
- South Florida Community for Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- View Organizer Website